Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Late Post About Tardiness

If you noticed this post's publish date, yes, you are right. This post is late. I was supposed to write and upload this piece last month, but due to the fact that I was busy for an event, I had to push this to a later date.

So... This post's main question: Why are you late? Well, I have my own reasons. I have the most creative cards for reasons that I put on the memo whenever I arrive late for work. Here are some of them:

1. Oversleeping. Yep, I'm an honest guy. I've once put this as a reason for being late for work and for school. I have a habit of being on the PC until late at night because it's one of my main ways of keeping in touch with most of the people in my network. I play games, I browse through social networking sites, I read some articles, I work on stuff for events, up to a point that I forget about time.

How to solve the problem: I had-- I mean, I have to change my habits. Yep, I'm still doing these things late at night, but I'm going to have to change this if I want to stay healthy and not be late for work. Well, the company implemented flexi-time which allows me to report for work as early as 9AM and as late as 10AM. Anything beyond 10AM is late. Given this, you can say that the company adjusted for most of us, but for most of you, I don't think a lot of companies are willing to do this.

2. Traffic. People treat this as an invalid reason, but in my case, since I've presented good evidence that this is valid, they have accepted the fact that the traffic in Metro Manila can be blamed. I mean, come on. For people to go to work early, they have to go home early. But with our public transport system, this is kinda impossible, especially for those who live far from their office. In my case, I live in Cubao, and I go to work to Makati. It takes 2 hours from where I live to go to work, and it approximately takes the same amount of time going home. That's 2 hours of travel time + 9 hours of being in the office + another 2 hours of travel time; that's 13 hours, which means I only spend 11 hours at home, and ideally, 8 of those I spend for sleeping.

However, that isn't the case because of the stuff I do at night which I've mentioned in the previous item. Well, I needed a place where I can vent out my stress, and the Internet has provided that space for me. Well, that and a little bit of hanging out with my friends before going home.

3. Road Accidents. A very rare instance, but given the arrogance of some Filipino drivers, this really isn't far from happening. I had a photo of a road accident before -- one where a taxi decided to ram the door of the bus I was in. The bus was on the right line, but this taxi driver decided that he can fit in and just when ahead without thinking that it's a bus that he's about to hit. So... I can't get out. So much for looking for another bus to hop on to.

4. One Pageant Winner's Motorcade. I rarely watch local TV because of the lack of quality in its shows. I only watch local TV for news. Heck, even news-casting here isn't that much of a quality thing to watch unlike how it was in the 90's. So the story here is that this motorcade was announced on local TV. I didn't catch any news about it. I was going to work in the afternoon, when all of a sudden, Ayala Avenue was congested because of this event. Well, it's my fault since I decided to just sit in the bus and wait for my stop instead of just going down 2 stops before my actual stop and walk to where I work, which is damn far away. (G4 to Paseo under an afternoon sun; give me a break, people). Anyway, what's done is done. Damn you, Megan Young, and congratulations.

5. "Acts of God". So says our company's rule book. An example of an act of God is an earthquake, or an extreme weather condition which makes you unable to go to work on time. In these cases, I sometimes decide to just stay at home and be safe rather than risk being hurt by something brought upon by these circumstances. I do this even if I'm out of leaves. Safety > Money anytime. But when my conscience tells me to go to work, and I end up being late, I put "extreme weather conditions" as an excuse. All hail bouyant people of the corporate world!

There are tons more reasons out there which I don't know about. Given the fact that there are a lot of reasons why people are late, there's one thing that I'm thankful for, and that's the fact that investors are still willing to open up shop here in Metro Manila despite all these. One way to return the favor is adjusting for them. Remember that the moment you signed up for a contract to work for a company, you have already accepted the fact that you have to do the impossible, i.e. go to work early. Speaking of which, there's one major adjustment that I've done to make sure I arrive early:

A scene from Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Yep. Eating on the go.
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (c) Sunrise, Square Enix

=======================
PS: Next time, magsasaksak na ulit ako ng Tagalog sa posts. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment